The Song Of The Free

The Song Of The Free
by chetram nagar

  The wounded snake its hood unfurls,The flame stirred up doth blaze,The desert air resounds the callsOf heart-struck lion's rageThe cloud puts forth it deluge strengthWhen lightning cleaves its breast,When the soul isGreat ones unfold their bestLet's grow dim and heart grow faintAnd friendship fail and love betray,Let Fate its hundred horrors send,And clotted dark block the wayAll nature wear frown,To crush you out - still know, my soul,You are the Divine March on and on,NorNor angel I, nor man, nor brute,Nor body, mind, nor he nor she,The books do stop in wonder muteTo tell my nature; I am HeBefore the sun, the moon, the earth,Before the stars or comets are free,Before e'en time had its birth,I was, I am, and I will beThe beauteous earth, the glorious sun,The calm sweet moon, the spangled sky,Causes of lawThey live in bonds, in bonds they dieAnd mind its mantle dreamy netCast o'er them allIn Warp and woof of thought are set,Earth, hells, and heaven, or worst or best.Know the is not the outer crust -All space and time, all effect, causeI am beyond all sense, all thoughts,The witness of the universeNot two nor many, 'tis but one,And so in all of me's I have;I can not hate, I can notMyself from me, I can but loveFrom dreams awake, from bonds be free,Be not afraid This mystery,My shadow, can not frighten me,Know once for all that I am He(Swami Vivekananda)






The free bird leapsOn the backAnd floats downstreamTill the current endsAnd dips his wingsIn the orange sun raysAnd dares to claim the skyBut a bird that stalksDown his narrow cageCan seldom see throughHis bars of rageHis wings are clipped andHis feet are tiedSo he opens his throat to singThe caged bird singsWith fearful trillOf the things unknownBut longed for stillAnd his tune is heardOn the distant hillFor the caged birdSings of freedomThe free bird thinks of another breezeAnd the windsAnd the fat weeds on a dawn-bright lawnAnd he names the sky his ownBut a caged bird on the grave of dreamsHis shadow on the nightmare screamHis wings are clipped and his feet are tiedSo he opens his throatThe caged bird singsWith a fearful trillOf things unknownBut longed for stillAnd his tune is heardOn the distant hillFor the caged birdSings of freedom(Maya Angelou)

Comments