“Dirty Rice” // Creole Beef and Pepper Rice

“Dirty Rice” // Creole Beef and Pepper Rice
by chetram nagar

Bringing you a warming as well

 I recently experienced my first meal in Creole cuisine via a gumbo that my Dad made for dinner a few weeks ago. It was sheer perfection Warming, spicy and packed full of carefully balanced flavors In short it was a hug for my mouth Centered in louisiana it is a style of cooking and eating bringing it into an immigrant population - a blend of cultures and cuisines from all the world. I read about a common dish dish in Louisiana called dirty rice; "Dirty" because of the colors and flavours the rice adopts with meats and spices. This recipe is inspired by many traditional dirty rice recipes that I read though I substituted the customary chicken liver for ground beef!


Serves 4Prep Time: 5 minutesCooking Time: 40 minutesIngredients

    
1 tbsp olive oil
    
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
    
1 celery stick, finely chopped
    
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    
200 g mince meat
    
1 pepper (I used half a green one, half a red), de-seeded and diced roughly
     
3 tsp Cajun spices
    
1 tsp paprika
    
1 tsp turmeric
    
100 g long grain rice
     
600 ml chicken stock
    
Salt and pepper
    
Parsley, finely chopped
    
Vegetable oil
    
4 eggsMethod

    
In a large high sided pan or casserole dish heat up the olive oil on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook for about 5 - 10 minutes or until soft. Remove from the pan
    
Add the meat to the pan with the cajun, paprika, turmeric plus a good twist of salt and pepper. Let this fry off for five minutes before returning vegetables to the pan, plus the pepper. Stir everything together to combine
    
Pour the rice in the pan and cook it for 1 minute so that it can absorb some of the oil. Stir to combine again and then leave it to simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until the stock is absorbed. You may need to add a little more water if the stock is not cooked.
    
Heat a frying pan and add vegetable oil. When the oil starts to simmer slightly crack your eggs in it and cook for 4 minutes - use a spoon to baste the hot oil over the top of the egg to ensure it is cooked throughout.
    
Serve the rice between 4 plates and top each with a crispy fried egg and parsley.
    
Enjoy!I hope that you enjoyed it! Please let me know what you think in the comments as I love hearing from you and do not forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and on this blog to see more recipes and foodie musings from me The link to do both could be found if a tablet / phone or the side bar if on a computer I have also joined Pinterest so follow me on there for even more foodie inspiration - my username is Wish to Dish

Comments